Monday, August 27, 2012

Getting Rid of the pacifier and introducing paci(comfort is normal).

Hey there, folks! So, for the past couple of days, I have taken the pacifier away from Lucy and only allowed her to have it during naptime or bedtime. Soon I will even wean her off of those times.  I personally feel that comfort is normal. Obviously,because it is comfort is something we want when we are born! A lot of moms believe in getting rid of the pacifier cold turkey, but I didn't feel that that was really the way I wanted to do things. I felt that in some sort of way, taking something so important to her and something that she has been attached to for almost two years could somehow set her up for not liking changes later on down the road. I hate some changes but I think that has to do with my genetics. Anyways, I feel that this is a change that can be less horrific than some might make it up to be if it is just a suttle change. I feel that when we have big changes in our lives, the Lord decides whether to throw us in or to let us put our toes in before we jump. And I think this is a change that can be suttle like putting our toes in to check the water temperature. So, I called this blog "Getting rid of the pacifier and introducing Paci", because my idea is to have take a stuffed animal that I know she loves and call it Paci. Everytime she asks for Paci I can say, "This is Paci now." and hand her the rabbit.  I have been doing this for a couple of days and things were going great until I LOST the rabbit I was using at the fair! Needless to say, today has been awful because she doesn't find as much comfort in the one I have been using. I had to order another Jellycat bashful bunny and those things are NOT cheap!! Also, to make this change suttle is by only allowing her to have it during naptime and bedtime right now. After we get the knew bunny and it has been a week of Lucy not having it all day, we will then start on her not having it at those times.


 This is the new one I bought her, but the one I lost was maroon with white speckles. It was so pretty! I hope and pray it makes another child very happy! Maybe the Lord felt someone needed a blessing that day.

Today, Lucy threw a fit because she found a pacifier in her toy box. I took it away from her and then cut the nipple off. Then, I gave it back to her to show the the pacifier is no longer functional and handed her the rabbit I have been using today. She cried for a very long time. It is tough, but to me is so worth it. I much rather wean her off the pacifier than a thumb. Not to mention, the method we have been using seems to be working so well. Honestly, this is the first time she has really thrown a fit about the pacifier. I think babies wanting to suckle is such a natural comforting thing and honestly, I feel that it is important that we encourage that when they are young. I think that if a baby wants his or her thumb or a pacifier, it is ok after such a hard journey into this world! I know some babies aren't for it, which is awesome for the parent, but a baby that wants something like a thumb or paci and doesn't get it, can be neglectful. That could be a bit harsh, but like I said, it is a babies natural desire just like eating and going to the bathroom and you certainly wouldn't take those away!! Again, talking about babies here, not my soon to be 2 year old. This is a good time to take it away as she becomes a big girl. I also think having her little sis around could be a help if I work it the right way. Maybe make Lucy feel extra special and different from her sister because Lainey is still a baby. I think when giving the Paci bunny to Lucy it is saying it's ok to be comforted (and it is something that she can grow out of that won't damage her in any way like a pacifier can do to her teeth) and maybe encourage her to decide to not want the paci anymore.

Anyways, getting rid of the pacifier is not my only goal this month. My other goal (scheduled after our Ohio trip) is to get her potty trained. I think she is ready and has the language skills needed for her to tell me when she needs to go. I read a blog about potty training in three days and I loved it because it really involved the toddler making decisions. For example, it said to go to the store and let your child choose her "big girl" underwear. I think that is so smart! I think it is awesome because it encourages kids to make decisions and to desire to go to the potty by themselves instead of just making them go. However, I do feel that potty training can be one of those things where we really have to work with our kids sometimes and really make them go. I think it just depends on your child. When I have babysat in the past I have babysat kids who found comfort in their diapers and didn't want to let them go. Still, any ideas that encourage our kids to make decisions for themselves is smart, because it encourages our kids to be there own person. Especially at a time where parents have so much control in their lives!

Anyways, I know this was a very opinionated post. I don't mind feedback as long as it is respectful! Thanks for letting me share!

No comments:

Post a Comment