Saturday, July 14, 2012

My {not so} famous chili...


Time for payback. All of you that know Sammie and know what chili does to him, this is your chance to make this chili and get him back!!! This is a decently priced, ONE POT chili!!!

                                 

What you need:

-One big soup(?) pot
-Cheese grater
- 1Onion
- 2 cans of pinto beans
- 2 cans of great northern beans
- 1 Can of tomato juice
- 1 McKormic chili seasoning package
- 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. of ground beef
- Salt, garlic powder, chili powder



This is what you do:

This is a ONE pot chili! That means easy clean up and barely ANY mess! You can do this in the crock pot, but I would brown the meat in a pan and then put it in the crock pot.

Anyways, Start with the onion. One way to cut an onion and WITHOUT the tears is by using a cheese grater. Cut the onion in half and peel the outside. Do NOT cut off the ends. You will want the ends to hold on to because you will use the cheese grater to "cut" it up. Sammie doesn't like onion unless it is so small, you can't notice it in the meal. I used dried minced onion for the longest time and then got the idea to use a cheese grater.  The onion almost looks pureed after it is done. (I knew I should have gotten a pic. Sorry.)

Forgive the pot markings. They are always there no matter how many times I clean it. Anyways, after grating the onion into the pot, put the meat in and brown it! Mix the meat and onion well. While the meat is browning, do a once over with some chili powder and garlic powder. After the meat is brown, of course drain the grease, but you don't have to do it well. I keep a tiny bit in there to add flavor. I usually use the leanest meat I can find, too. So there isn't that much grease anyways.

After that, add the ENTIRE can of tomato juice. Sometimes I only add 3/4 of the can and put water in it. It all depends on what I have in my fridge. :) Then add the McKormick package, drain the excess juice from the cans of bean, and add beans. Don't fully drain the beans. I like a little bit of excess bean juice to add flavor...which might could explain some things.



Alright! After mixing everything together, bring the chili to a boil. I would suggest using a medium-high heat. You don't want anything to burn at the bottom. Stir frequently as it boils so that burning doesn't happen. I would also suggest boiling it about 10-20 minutes. It really depends on how much time you have. After it heats up a little bit, most of the time I take this moment to add more garlic and chili powder and salt if needed. Tomato juice already has plenty of sodium in it. So, you might not need to add salt. If you added some water though, you  most likely will need to.

I let it simmer the rest of the day. I stir it every once in a while so that things don't get cooked to the pan. If you go to work and are not a stay at home mom like me, that is why I suggested the crock pot(on high). The longer it cooks the better it will be!  Not to mention, the more it cooks, the more the flavors seem to just melt into each other! I like it when the beans are tender and the meat practically melts in your mouth. That is why I use pinto and great northern beans. I hate kidney beans and they always seem tough no matter how long you cook them. Also, feel free to use the recipe as a guide to make your own style of chili!

Thanks for letting me share! You can also feel free to share any suggestions of making it better or even what you do for your chili! If you use this recipe as a base for your own, please share that, too! I love hearing what other people do. Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment